American Camp Association
The leading accreditation association for summer camps.
Updated Sept. 15, 2009, 4:01 p.m.
The American Camp Association (ACA) is an organization of camp professionals who share their knowledge and experience to ensure the quality of camp programs. American Camp Association accreddited camps undergo a thorough (up to 300 standards) review of their operation from staff qualifications and training to emergency management. The ACA collaborates with experts from the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Red Cross, and other youth-serving agencies to assure that current practices at accredited camps reflect the most up-to-date, research-based standards in camp operation.
The ACA helps member camps provide:
- Healthy, developmentally-appropriate activities and learning experiences
- Discovery through experiential education
- Caring, competent role models
- Service to the community and the environment
- Opportunities for leadership and personal growth
The ACA accredits over 2,400 camps camps that meet up to 300 standards for health, safety, and program quality.